In today’s recipe, crunchy raw veggies, folded with a creamy dressing, are wrapped in crisp, cool lettuce leaves–perfect for a light lunch or dinner!
I’ve had this as a meal several times already and really enjoy it. I got the idea from a picture I saw on Pinterest, (where all good ideas are born) and adapted it, since I have a hard time just following a recipe, instead, feeling the need to just see what it would taste like if I added _____, or substituted _____. Tsk tsk. :)
spiralized cucumber salad
- 1 english cucumber, spiralized, julienned, or VERY thinly sliced into strips
- 1/8 cup red onion, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh tomato, diced
- 4-6 romaine lettuce leaves
- toppings: sliced sweet/bell peppers, sun-dried tomatoes (the smoked ones are AMAZING if you can find them!) shredded carrots, sliced red cabbage, etc. Use as little or as many toppings as you want (or have room in your boats for!)
Mix together the cucumber, onion, and tomato and set aside. I put approximate amounts of onion and tomato, but the truth is, I don’t measure. I just put on as much as I like, usually one sorta thick slice of onion (finely chopped) and maybe a half a tomato.
Because I am vegetarian, I don’t add any meat to this recipe, but I’m sure it would be perfectly lovely layered with some grilled chicken strips and a sprinkle of shredded cheese to make a more filling dinner. Shredded chicken or some tuna would also be great additions, mixed in when you add the dressing.
Now for the dressing:
creamy tomato dressing
- 1 cup tomato
- ½ an avocado, peeled and seeded
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 T. onion
- 1 T. of your favorite vinegar (I use garlic-flavored rice vinegar; it’s nice and light)
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning (or to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 of salt, optional
Blend in a tiny blender. Pour all of the dressing over the cucumber noodle mixture and stir well. Here are a few other avocado dressing recipes that I’ve posted!
Place the salad into a few romaine leaves. I usually overfill mine and end up making a ridiculous mess, so maybe you can learn from my mistakes and not end up with this all over your face, lap, and the floor. Ha ha! :)
Once you have your cucumber salad-filled boats arranged on your plates, top with sliced peppers and sun-dried tomatoes, as well as any other toppings you choose, and sprinkle with more Italian seasoning and black pepper. If you find these need extra salt, feel free to add it.
I hope you enjoy these as much as I do! Next time I make these, I’ll take a picture of me wearing it because I’ll inevitably overfill my lettuce boats again, and inevitably end up with it all over me, standing over the sink with a giant smile on my face!
I love to hear from you all! Comment below to say hello!